Thursday 11 August 2011

Captain's Cottage in Sweden

Good morning, dears. Today I'd like to show you a lovely cottage in Sweden. Its former owner was kind enough to send me the photographs by mail. Before seeing them, here is the story behind the Captain's Cottage told by the owner herself:

It is called "a captain's cottage" because in 1860 a sea captain commissioned the house to be built for him and his new wife. While the house was under construction, the captain's ship sank (with the captain). The builder, who was a bachelor, ended up marrying the captain's widow and they lived in the house with their 4 (I think) children, I think until their death. The cottage is located in the south of Sweden on the Baltic coast.

I searched for a long time for an old house in Sweden. The problem I had with all the old houses I saw was that they had been remodeled and updated, and NOT in a way that I could ever imagine, mostly in the 70's and 80's. That was until I found this house. Barely anything had been done since the 1930's. Perfect!!!

Now started a COMPLETE reconstruction, from new electrical wiring and new plumbing to a new roof. The attic, which had holes in the roof (you could see the stars at night through it) became our second story. Three miniature rooms in a row (of which one became the mud entrance and laundry area, originally it was the area where the chicken coop was) became the new kitchen where I designed a fireplace, (always dreamed of christmas breakfast in a kitchen with a fire place). The old master became a dining room, bathroom, re-done. Linoleum floor covers removed and the old wood floors brought back. The walls had been tiled (with bathroom tiles) in the living room, so we had to tear down the walls and re-build and stucco them.

The bottom line is that basically everything (including garden) was rebuilt except the outside of the house. The house is in an a village from around 1060, so the homes are land marked and you are not allowed to change much to the exterior construction. We had a hard time getting approval for the windows on our new second story.

Just like you, I have a PASSION for homes, and decorating. So everything in the whole house was designed by me (I have a very understanding husband!!), most of it was painted by me and I made the curtains, slip covers, bed furnishings myself. It took 10 years to get the house the way I wanted it, and then what do we do?? We sold it!!!! Now I can't wait to do my next house, and we MIGHT just yesterday have found one that looks interesting.
A lovely story for a lovely house. I do hope that when she finishes her next house she'll allow me to share it with all of you!

And now let's take the tour.


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I'd love to read your thoughts on this house. Have a beautiful day!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 comments:

  1. I would move in based on the blue door and hammock alone! Not to mention those lovely exposed beams on the inside. Such a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute house, I'd just pare the interiors down to the basics - remove a lot of the decorative objects and frills - then you could really see the loveliness of the house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI, Kifus!
    This house is lovely, love the brick façade and the blue door.
    Hugs
    Tereza

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these old houses / cottages, reminds me of my childhood,

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Widget By Devils Workshop