Friday 8 June 2012

Les Charmettes

A little history for you today.
Les Charmettes is the name of this country house located in the neighbourhood of Chambéry, France. It stands in the hollow of a wooded valley and was the place where Jean-Jacques Rousseau took refuge at the age of 24 with Françoise-Louise de Warens, who became his mistress and mentor. He became very attached to this house and the simple country life and wrote extensively about it in his book Confessions. Les Charmettes became a symbol of Rousseau's revolutionary thought as well as a shrine attracting such literary and political celebrities as George Sand, Alphonse de Lamartine and Stendhal.
In 1905 Les Charmettes was classified an historical monument by the French government. The house and its grounds are now a museum open to the public.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/98/Les_Charmettes_ca_1830.jpg

Source

Photobucket


Photobucket

Photobucket












Hope you enjoyed today's post, my friends.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

7 comments:

  1. Kifus,
    I'm so amazed when I see a home that has been standing for so long and is so charming. Nice history lesson, I enjoy those from time to time.
    Have a great weekend.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, if these rooms could talk! A lovely home and I think Rousseau and his Madame make a beautiful couple. Also love the black and white painting of Les Charmettes.
    A great post, I really enjoyed it!

    xoxo Sabrina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kifus,
    Isn't this a pearl of beauty?!!! Oh dear I so enjoyed this post! Love the paneling and paintwork!! Gorgeous! Thank you for sharing.
    Happy weekend!
    xx
    Greet

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Kifus,

    I love this house and I visit it already a few years ago. And with this post you make my day!

    Thanks to show this gorgeous house!

    Nice weekend!
    XX
    Jérôme

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you, Jerome that you visited this home! Thanks for your comment and a nice weekend to you too!

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous! Love this property. The paneling is fabulous. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is going onto my "must visit" list for the next time I get over to France.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Widget By Devils Workshop